Artfire

Artfire

Sunday 27 January 2019

Mix media spectacle box - Blue and green

Good morning,

On the completion of the earlier spectacle case I had a lot of requests from my aunts and friends to do theirs.  So I agreed and decided to do another one.  

But this time I decided to be a bit bold.  Taking the serene colours of blue and green I decided to alter this case using those colours but blinged up with a dash of gold. 

So let's get into the project. Here are the basic steps for altering this old case into something new. 

1. I first sanded the case gently to remove all the peeling off leather.  Then I went ahead and applied dry wall tape in most of the areas. 

2. Once this was complete I covered the entire case in white gesso.  I did 2-3 coats of it till I was happy with the result. I did a bit of stencilling also in places.  

3. Selecting the embellishments that I wanted to put I created an arrangement that I liked and glued it down properly.  It doesn't matter at this stage if the elements are all of different colours.  They will be covered.  I ensured the there are not too many layers as this was a object that was going to get used extensively and even be carried around in the bag.  


4. Once everything was dried, I covered everything in white gesso. This ensures that my base is ready for all the colours and inks and paint.  

5. Using home made sprays and Lindy's spray I covered some areas in green and some in shades of blue.  I wanted the mid portion and the main focal elements to be in blue and the rest to be in green. In between layers I did dry brushing with white gesso to lighten a area and added another shade of the colour.  

6. Finally when everything was dry and I was happy with the colours, I lightly touched all the areas with gold.  I did this with a finger as I wanted the golden just on some of the highlighted areas. 

7. I as a security measure sealed up everything with a bosny spray.  This was done as the case was going to to extensively used.  

Thus this old battered spectacle case finally had a new lease of life. 

Here are some of the pictures of the final project 






Hope you enjoyed this project and inspiration.  Do leave some love here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment