Artfire

Artfire

Monday 28 March 2016

Nameplate

Good morning!!

I have finally finished the nameplate for my front door. 

I have been married for more than four years. Ever since we married my husband has been urging me to make a nameplate for our front door. In the first year of marriage we visited many shops and exhibitions in the quest of finding a perfect nameplate. But with no luck. Everything we saw and found was something we had seen on someone's door. And I did not want something that was common. 

I wanted something in earth tones, with a vintage look and at the same time I wanted a floral element. At the same time I wanted something simple, nothing too fancy. Tough.... you would say.

Well at some point I decided that I would make us a nameplate. So I kept trying things and art forms but nothing seemed to click. Every couple of months my husband would bring up the topic of the nameplate and I would look sheepishly and tell him "its work in progress". 

But between my other projects and commitments, I never got around to getting it started. A few months back I had ordered a few printed tissues for decoupaging. And there was this beautiful tissue which had a perfect vintage look and it was vibrant at the same time. It was perfect.

I found a piece of wood at home and guess what it was the perfect size, primed it and put base coat. I tried to get the exact shade of the tissue but couldn't but I was still happy with the colour. Once the tissue had been decoupaged to the wood, I added a darker shade on the side for the names. Once the tissue and the painted area was perfectly blended in I stamped a script stamp in the background in places to create a texture. Finally added some gold antique and bronze antique paint in places with a sponge. 

This is how it finally looked 



All that needed to be done was to paint our names.



And voila my nameplate is ready. Ready to be hanged. 

Do let me know what do you think about it 

No comments:

Post a Comment