Artfire

Artfire

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Beaded Candles

Hi friends,

In this post I would like to talk about beaded candles and decorating a candle in general. When I got into crafting, along with painting, one of my major passion was candle making.

There is a lot of satisfaction in making a candles and seeing the colours set and emerge. You can never predict the outcome. But like many people who loves candles I must admit a decorated candle is a beauty and very tempting to have. 

Thus started my quest on collecting items for decorating my candles. And let me tell you even a simple ribbon can jazz up a candle beautifully.

Here are a few examples





Then a year back I suddenly got the idea of putting beads on the candle as decoration. (Actually I had seen a few candles coated in beads on pinterest and they looked beautiful) The idea sounded fun and looked super easy. Just put glue and put beads on top and it will stick.

But it was a hassle and a complete mess. Candles are usually round and of course I had chosen a round one. and the glue went everywhere and only a small portion could be done at a time. Wax is not an easy medium to stick on. So each patch would take hours to dry and then some beads would come off so the same patch had to be done over and over again

Though I did manage to complete one candle I was tired with it and it was no fun at all. Here is the picture of the candle done. If you see carefully you would still be able to see some places where the beads did not stick properly.


Then sometime around last year, I was just browsing through the net looking at ideas and new projects (I had just been introduced to the concept of paper crafts and was still learning about it). That is when I stumbled upon a post by Dr Sonia (She has this wonderful blog with so many tutorials that it's mind blowing)  and I was introduced to the something called the tacky tapes. There is a picture of her daughter putting the tape on a glass and putting beads onto that. 

That got me thinking. Why couldn't I put tape on the candle and then adhere the beads to it. I decided to try it. Thus I found a vendor who was willing to courier me a tape. And I finally tried it out. And voila it was so easy. I could do it in 1/10 the time. And if the beads didn't stick very well I could just press a little and they would stick or add new ones. I did choose bigger beads this time as I wasn't sure how it will do with smaller beads. 


Doesn't it look beautiful.

Hope you enjoyed this little information and the loved the candles done by me. Do let me know if you want some more additional information on candles.

Also do visit Dr Sonia SV Blog for some wonderful creations and tutorials


No comments:

Post a Comment